The One Interview Question You Should Ask Yourself

Thursday, November 5, 2015



Hello beauties ♥

This time, I'd like to start with a story.

When I was at high school, I went to interview for a place on the Social and Political Science programme at Cambridge University. The very posh, intimidating lady conducting the interview mustered a half-smile, which I assume was her attempt at being encouraging, as she handed me a sheet of paper with a few lines printed on it. 


“One evening, Camper goes into the woods and sets up his tent. Camper doesn’t have a very large backpack, so he only has one bottle of water with him! Poisoner dislikes Camper, so he sneaks in and poisons the water. Later that night, Spiller sees the tent, and spills Camper’s water on the floor. In the morning, Camper dies of thirst. Who killed Camper?”

(Or something to that effect. The English was probably a lot posher and contained words like “notwithstanding”.  I don’t remember. This was seven or eight years ago.)

Seriously, what the fuck kind of question is that? First of all, maybe Camper should rethink his life choices if there are TWO people out there who hate him so much they want to MURDER him? Also, why didn’t Camper bring more water, or a mobile phone? How far away could the next shop have been? If Camper was far enough from civilization that he couldn’t have walked it in a day, he would’ve brought more water, and if he was close enough to a shop to walk the distance in a day, it seems medically unlikely he would’ve DIED in that time! And how does Spiller even know that Camper only has one bottle of water? 

Needless to say, I didn’t get the spot. 

Interview questions can be really, really stupid. But there is one that, to me, stands out, because it’s actually meaningful, and because I believe you should sit down on your couch and ask yourself that exact same question at least a few times a year.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Don’t tell me about what job title you want to have or what your CV is going to look like. Really think about what you want your life to look like, five years from now, on a completely normal Thursday. That is going to give you so much information about what you should be doing now, and it’s a measurable goal to work towards.

As for me, I hope that on Thursday, November 5th, 2020, I wake up next to the man I love and want to spend my life with, in a small cosy apartment (because we’re saving for a house, and he’s saving for a ring). I hope I finally manage to exercise regularly in the mornings. I’d run for a bit, make breakfast, do my whole shower/make-up/clothes/mentally preparing for the day routine, then have coffee and leave. I’d leave to a job that I love, that makes a difference and where I get to spend most of the day writing. I’d stay there and have fun (because of course I’d be working in an amazing team) until 6 or 7pm. Then I’d go home, maybe make dinner or read for an hour, depending on whose turn it was to cook. We’d eat, talk about our day and watch a stupid sitcom, or a TED talk, depending on our mood. And finally, we’d go to bed at a reasonable hour, because I’d like to believe that in 2020, at the ripe old age of 28, I will finally be a responsible adult.

What about you?! :)

Love,

Damita

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Damita blogs | Theme by Neat Design Corner |