I went without solid food for 72h and here’s what it was like

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Hey lovelies,

After two 14-hour workdays and six days of being stuck in bed with a cold and a massive headache, I’m finally going to tell you about how I ACTUALLY COMPLETED the fasting challenge that I wrote about in my last post (and I really need to work on blogging more consistently).

Being that the original idea of World Vision Austria was to go without food and donate the saved money, I set myself two simple rules at the beginning:

1.  No solid food.
2. No spending money.

Of course, contrary to all the recommendations to eat light and avoid carbs and meat three or four days before a fast, I ate a big Sunday brunch right before starting, because I am a rebel (and also because I live for brunch). I had prosciutto and melon, cheese, hummus, croissants, Nutella, the whole thing. So I was content and pretty stuffed when I started on my little adventure. And this is how the following 72 hours went…

5h in: This is easy. I’m not even hungry! I can totally do this. I am ready to rock!

6h in: I follow too many food bloggers on Instagram. Wow. I think now is when I would normally have dinner. But I can totally do this.

In between hours 6 and 8, I did some dishes, a bit of general tidying up, and baked a loaf of banana bread for the office since my bananas were looking dangerously spotty and I hate throwing away food. Of course, this was an awful idea, because my apartment is pretty small and the smell of banana-chocolate-chip yumminess spread EVERYWHERE rather quickly.

8h in: Starting to feel hungry. Smell not helping. Tea. Tea is amazing.

On Sunday evening, I went to sleep pretty early (around 10) and not feeling too hungry. This lasted for a while. Actually, maybe because of the huge brunch I had had on Sunday, the first 24 hours really weren’t so bad except for a few hunger pangs.

19h in: This is great. I can totally do this. I am a winner. Yes!

Right around the time I hit 24 hours on Monday afternoon, I started hallucinating all sorts of food smells. It didn’t help that my colleagues were cooking a big team lunch for everyone. I may or may not have had an oddly sexual daydream about a Big Mac and fries.

24h in: I miss chewing.

25h in: Write some syntax. Yes. I can do that. With the numbers. And the variables. And the variables and the numbers. Yep. Why is my screen blurry? Someone should clean my screen.

27h in: There is a chocolate bunny in the drawer next to my desk. I am not allowed to eat the chocolate bunny. Not today, not tomorrow. Life without chocolate is so sad and empty.

On Monday evening, I was going to sort through the piles of paper on my desk and maybe my closet. Unfortunately, I felt extremely drained (and oddly, a little drunk - I assume this was lightheadedness), which got in the way of my plans. Instead, I broke my second rule by spending €1.49 on a pot of cream, and made some vegetable cream soup from a bag of carrots and some frozen broccoli.

(Sometimes I find vegetables in my fridge. I am convinced that somewhere in a parallel universe, there is a version of me that goes for runs on weekday mornings and makes mason jar salads, and she sneaks them in)

I proceeded to eat three bowls in a row and it was the best thing on the planet. I then went to bed at nine fifteen with a headache and a stabbing pain in my stomach, but it took me an hour to fall asleep.

Tuesday was more or less a blur. I didn’t get out of bed until 8 (snow in March? Really?), I felt dizzy, lightheaded, and just awful overall, with the exception of what I think were a few hunger highs. Work was a bit of a nightmare since my cognitive functioning was noticeably impaired. I’m normally quick on the uptake and generally a very fast-paced person, but I was suddenly having trouble registering what people were even saying to me, forget about reacting appropriately. Throughout the day, I had two glasses of mango juice, the leftover vegetable soup, a diet coke and a huge mug of hot chocolate.

45h in: I’m tired. Very tired. I slept for 10h. Why am I tired?

48h in: I think I’m drunk. Oh my god this is funny. I’m drunk and I didn’t even drink. Ok SHHHH Damita, no one can know you’re drunk at the office.

52h in: I am literally so fucking hungry and I could just eat because no one reads my blog anyway. Seriously, no one would know. But NO, because for once in my life I would just like to finish something I started and reach a goal I set myself.

54h in: I LOVE HOT CHOCOLATE IT IS THE NECTAR OF THE GODS

Wednesday morning seemed to go on forever. I had a hot chocolate around 10 but honestly, the last two hours of the fast still seemed like an absolute eternity.

I finally broke my fast at around 1:20 pm on Wednesday - did I have a light salad or some yoghurt as recommended to ease my stomach back in? Not so much. 

I had this amazing plate of nom instead. #notevensorry

In total, over the course of 72 hours and not counting water and tea, I drank:

- about 1.5 liters of juice
- about 1.5 liters of vegetable cream soup
- a bottle of diet coke
- a few sips of yoghurt vanilla drink (some weird milky concoction I had a bottle of in the fridge – as hungry as I was, I didn’t finish it, because yuck)
- 700mL of milk with cocoa powder

And I ate:

NOTHING!

I spent a total of €1.49 on food and drinks (we get free drinks at the office, thank god).

And most importantly, I made the donation of €15 to World Vision Austria.




Did it work? 

Well, I felt more grateful to have food around and readily available – for a few hours. The day after, I got sucked right back in to my daily life and my first world problems. Gratitude really is something you need to practice actively. I also didn't really get more done - I may have saved time, but I felt too sluggish and exhausted to move in that time.

But I did learn two things.

The first lesson I took from this is that if I try something with the aim of then writing about it, I will actually follow through. People find their motivation in very different things, and I don’t think I would’ve finished the full 72 hours in a million years if I hadn’t known I wanted to blog about it. But knowing this was going to be a blog post, I thought “I went without food for 26.5 hours and then inhaled a burger” just wouldn’t make for as catchy a title.

The second thing I learned is that my body is more resilient than I think it is. Hunger is not an emergency and even though I felt dizzy, and slow, and sick, and in pain (yet surprisingly alert and less tired after day 2), I made it through. It was nice to be reminded of my own strength.

Would I do it again?

The fast worked nicely to reset my eating habits, I feel less hungry and have actually eaten an uncharacteristic amount of fruit and veg since ending it. Not only would I want to do it again, but I would like to try water & tea only (no other liquids) and see what would happen – probably an even worse feeling of inebriation at the office. 


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful story, beautifully written! Thank you Damita for sharing your experience with us. A colleague whom you know forwarded the blog posts to me. Today, they made my day! I only went 24 hours this time (years ago, I managed 8 days. Don't recommend it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story, beautifully written! Thank you Damita for sharing your experience with us. A colleague whom you know forwarded the blog posts to me. Today, they made my day! I only went 24 hours this time (years ago, I managed 8 days. Don't recommend it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sebastian,
      You're the first person I don't personally know to comment on my blog!! I'm very excited about that so your comment made MY day as well :D thank you!!

      Delete
  3. My pleasure! And I'll forward your posts to someone else too, so your readership will increase!

    Sorry for the double-posting earlier, no idea how that happened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I couldn't have done that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the improvement of nourishment industry, present day sustenance industry need sustenance added substances. Individuals who think about nourishment fixings may well known to calcium carbonate sustenance added substance, potassium chloride nourishment added substance, gluten free thickeners, vitamins, citrus extract, aspartame sweetener etc. As a matter of first importance, don't fear them.Ounces in a galon

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © Damita blogs | Theme by Neat Design Corner |