Why I am going without food for 72 hours

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Do you know what real hunger feels like?

We’ve all said things like “I can’t wait for lunch, I’m starving!” before. But in the west where food is pretty much always available and many of us struggle with not overeating, very few people, if any, know what it means to be truly, gut-wrenchingly hungry. Even the hunger you feel when you skip lunch on a busy workday is really uncomfortable. What would it feel like not to eat for days?


Unfortunately, many people around the world know exactly what that feels like. World Vision Austria states that 70% of refugees in Lebanon are at risk for malnutrition. That is why they initiated the campaign I am writing about. The idea is that you forgo food for 24 hours and then donate the money you saved in that time, which they estimate at €15, to pay for a month’s worth of food for a Syrian child in Lebanon.

I want to take part in this for several reasons. For one thing, while opinions are divided about opening Europe’s borders to refugees, most people who aren’t entirely heartless would agree that providing local aid is crucial. For another, it’s still Lent for a few more days, and I have yet to give up a single thing – I am clearly an awful former Catholic. Also, my emotional eating has been really bad lately and I feel like it’s time for a fresh start. Most importantly though, I want to achieve two things:

1. Practice gratitude

Humans are odd creatures. The easiest and fastest way to make us feel grateful for something is often to take that very thing away from us. It shouldn’t be that way, but I’m afraid it is. People who practice gratitude are happier and healthier overall (there is literature on this), and I know for myself that when I remind myself of what I do have, the things I don’t have seem a lot less important. I try to think of things I am grateful for daily, but these past few days, I’ve had a hard time coming up with anything. Fasting is bound to make me feel grateful for coming home to a full fridge (well, metaphorically speaking – my fridge currently contains a red onion, more cheese than I care to admit and a half-empty bottle of white wine).  

2. Take time

I spend a lot of my time on food, probably an unhealthy amount. Not just on preparing and eating it, but also on planning what I’m going to eat, pondering what I should allow myself to eat and debating whether I should exercise to balance out what I’ve already eaten. I also spend more time than I would like on other very petty and superficial things. I want to have the courage and self-assurance not to, but I’m not quite there yet. I spend time comparing myself to others and envying people and worrying about what others think of me. This week, I was painfully reminded of how short life is. In reality, I know I want to spend it doing three things: building a family, trying my hardest at anything I do, and being kind and generous to others. I simply don’t think I will find enough meaning in anything other than commitment, effort and kindness. And yet, so few people seem to find meaning in these things or even attach any importance to them that I find it difficult to keep believing there is any value to them. It feels like the world around me measures me by entirely different standards, ones according to which I mostly feel worthless.

I am hoping that I will be able to use the time I save on cooking, eating, and planning my meals, to reflect, refocus, re-prioritize my goals, and remind myself of what’s truly important to me.

I will be donating €15, but I almost never spend that much on food in one day. So instead of going without food for 24 hours, I will fast for 72 h to make the experience longer and more intense (but still medically safe). I will start tomorrow, on Sunday March 13th, after brunch, and I will not be eating again until Wednesday, March 16th, at the same time. Not even chocolate. (The plan is to have mostly water, tea and broth, but if I start feeling dizzy or like I need sugar, I’ll drink some juice.)

Wanna join? :)

Love,

Damita

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Damita blogs | Theme by Neat Design Corner |