Why helping others is the best thing you can do for yourself

Monday, October 12, 2015



Hi lovelies! ♥ 

Today’s post is going to be a bit more serious. Austria is currently overwhelmed with an influx of refugees unlike anything we’ve seen in our recent history.  This has obviously brought about a variety of reactions, from people saying we should secure the borders and quit letting anyone in to others working their fingers to the bone 50 hours a week to ensure all those coming in have food, warm clothes and some form of shelter until they continue their journey. 

I’m somewhere in between. I’ve taught and organized a few German lessons and taken some food, drinks and hygiene products to train stations, where it’s needed most. I might have helped more if I didn’t have a full-time job and a degree to finish, but I did as much as I felt I had the time and energy for. And I felt happier for it. Suddenly, I thought, who cares if I don’t have a career in the traditional sense or if I end up unmarried with four cats. Today, a small child who has been through unspeakable things is going to have cake for dessert, and I bought that cake. And that matters. 


Research does in fact show that, as long as it doesn’t make you feel overwhelmed or put you under too much pressure, altruistic behaviour has lots of physical and psychological benefits. (A nice literature review on this came out in 2005 in the International Journal of Behavioural Medicine, Vol. 12, by Stephen Post, if you’re interested.) Helping others and doing things that are greater than yourself, such as volunteering on a regular basis, may help prolong your life, protect you from dementia, depression and anxiety, and enhance your creativity and your resilience. Altruism also improves your self-esteem, your well-being and your overall mental health. People who volunteer regularly have also repeatedly been found to be in better physical health and suffer from fewer illnesses even in old age. And I haven’t even mentioned the obvious physical and psychological benefits gained by those on the receiving end of altruism. 

So this week, be selfish. Donate some money (GiveWell can help you decide on a cost-effective charity). Volunteer some of your time. Clear out your closet and give away last season’s winter clothes.

You deserve it!

Damita

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Damita blogs | Theme by Neat Design Corner |